Clients Reviews

small claim filing

4.9 / 5 based on 237 user ratings.


We help you to

File Small Claims Online in Virginia Court

Does Someone Owe You Money? Recover Monies Owed!
We Research, Prepare, File Your Case in Small Claims Court Virginia.

Virginia Small Claims Online $89.95


What Is The Small Claims Court in Virginia?

The Small Claims Court in Virginia is a special court designed to hear and resolve small legal disputes between individuals or businesses. These disputes usually involve a claim for money, goods, or services valued at $5,000 or less. The Small Claims Court is intended to provide a simple, quick, and inexpensive way for people to resolve their disputes without hiring an attorney or going through a lengthy and complex legal process. The court is informal, and the rules of evidence are relaxed, making it easier for people to present their cases without needing extensive legal knowledge or training. In Virginia, the Small Claims Court is part of the General District Court and is presided over by a judge. The court can only hear cases where the defendant lives, works, or has a place of business in the same county or city as the court. To file a claim in Small Claims Court, the plaintiff must complete and file a statement of claim form with the court. The defendant must then be served with a copy of the claim and given an opportunity to respond. If the parties cannot resolve the dispute through negotiation or mediation, the case will proceed to a hearing before a judge, who will make a decision based on the evidence presented.

Who Can File or Defend A Small Claim in Virginia?

In Virginia, any individual, business, or organization can file or defend a small claim in the Small Claims Court if the claim meets certain criteria. The plaintiff must be at least 18 years old or legally emancipated to file a small claim. Businesses and organizations can also file claims, but they must be represented by an authorized agent or attorney. To defend a small claim, the defendant must be an individual, business, or organization that is being sued in the same county or city where the Small Claims Court is located. The defendant can represent themselves or hire an attorney to represent them. It's important to note that there are certain types of claims that cannot be filed in Small Claims Court in Virginia, such as claims involving defamation, libel, slander, or personal injury. Additionally, there may be specific requirements for filing certain types of claims, such as mechanic's liens or landlord-tenant disputes.

If you’re The Plaintiff in Virginia Have you asked For the Money or the Property?

If you are the plaintiff in Virginia and you're filing a small claim, you would typically be seeking a monetary judgment for a specific amount of money owed to you by the defendant. This could be for a debt owed, an unpaid bill, or damages resulting from the defendant's actions or negligence. In some cases, you may also be seeking to recover specific property that belongs to you and is being held by the defendant. This could include items such as personal property, equipment, or vehicles. However, it's important to note that in a small claims case, the court's authority is limited to awarding monetary damages, and it cannot order the return of specific property. If you're seeking to recover specific property, you may need to file a separate legal action, such as a replevin action, to recover the property. In general, when filing a small claim in Virginia, you would be asking the court to award you a specific amount of money, rather than specific property.

small claims filing Virginia
Virginia small claims court

Where Do You File in Virginia If You’re The Plaintiff?

In Virginia, if you're the plaintiff and you want to file a small claim, you must file your claim in the General District Court in the county or city where the defendant lives, works, or has a place of business. To file a small claim, you'll need to complete a Statement of Claim form, which you can obtain from the General District Court or online. The Statement of Claim form will ask you to provide information about the parties involved in the dispute, the amount of money you're seeking, and a brief description of the claim. Once you've completed the form, you'll need to file it with the General District Court along with the filing fee, which varies depending on the amount of money you're seeking. The court will then issue a Summons, which must be served on the defendant to notify them of the lawsuit and the court date.

If you’re The Defendant in Virginia What Should You Do after You Receive the Statement of Claim?

If you're the defendant in Virginia and you receive a Statement of Claim form from the General District Court, there are several steps you should take to respond to the claim. First, you should read the Statement of Claim carefully to understand the plaintiff's allegations and the amount of money they are seeking. Next, you have several options for responding to the claim:

  • File an Answer: You can file an Answer with the court, which responds to each of the plaintiff's allegations and either admits or denies them. You can also assert any defenses or counterclaims you may have in your Answer. It's recommended that you consult with an attorney to help you prepare your Answer.
  • Settle the Claim: You can try to settle the claim with the plaintiff before the court date. This may involve negotiating a payment plan or agreeing to a reduced amount in exchange for dropping the lawsuit.
  • Do Nothing: If you fail to respond to the claim within the deadline, the court may enter a default judgment against you, which means the plaintiff will automatically win the case.

Regardless of how you choose to respond to the claim, it's important to keep track of all deadlines and court dates and to attend the court hearing if required. If you're unsure how to respond to the claim or need legal advice, you may want to consult with an attorney.

What If You Owe All Or Part Of The Plaintiff's Claim in Virginia?

If you owe all or part of the plaintiff's claim in Virginia, there are several options available to you to resolve the matter. One option is to try to negotiate a settlement with the plaintiff. This may involve agreeing to pay the full amount owed or negotiating a reduced payment amount or payment plan. If you reach a settlement with the plaintiff, you may be able to avoid a court hearing and resolve the matter outside of court. Another option is to file an Answer with the court, admitting to the debt and offering to pay the amount owed in installments or in full. If you file an Answer, you may be able to negotiate a payment plan or settlement with the plaintiff before the court hearing. If you are unable to reach a settlement with the plaintiff, you will need to attend the court hearing and present your case to the judge. At the hearing, you can present evidence and arguments to support your position, and the judge will make a decision based on the evidence presented.

What If The Plaintiff Owes You Money in Virginia?

If the plaintiff owes you money in Virginia, you may have grounds to file a counterclaim against the plaintiff in response to the Statement of Claim. A counterclaim is a claim that you have against the plaintiff arising out of the same transaction or occurrence as the plaintiff's claim. To file a counterclaim, you will need to file an Answer to the plaintiff's Statement of Claim with the General District Court and include your counterclaim in your Answer. Your counterclaim should include a detailed description of the facts and circumstances that support your claim, as well as the amount of money you are seeking. Once you file your Answer and counterclaim, the plaintiff will have the opportunity to respond to your counterclaim. The court will then schedule a hearing where both parties can present evidence and arguments to support their claims.

What Can You Do in Virginia If You Disagree with the Court’s Judgment?

If you disagree with the court's judgment in Virginia, you may have the option to file an appeal. An appeal is a request for a higher court to review the decision made by the lower court. To file an appeal in Virginia, you must file a Notice of Appeal with the General District Court within 10 days of the entry of the judgment. You must also post a bond or pay a deposit to cover the costs associated with the appeal. Once you file your Notice of Appeal, the case will be transferred to the Circuit Court, where a new trial will be held. The Circuit Court will review the evidence presented in the original trial, as well as any new evidence that may be presented. The Circuit Court will then issue a new judgment based on its review of the case.

Collecting the Judgment in Virginia

Once a judgment has been entered in Virginia, the plaintiff can take steps to collect the amount owed. Here are some common ways to collect a judgment in Virginia:

  • Wage garnishment: The plaintiff can ask the court to order the defendant's employer to withhold a portion of the defendant's wages to pay the judgment.
  • Bank account levy: The plaintiff can ask the court to order the defendant's bank to freeze the defendant's account and turn over funds to pay the judgment.
  • Liens: The plaintiff can place a lien on the defendant's property, which can prevent the defendant from selling or refinancing the property until the judgment is paid.
  • Execution on personal property: The plaintiff can ask the court to allow them to seize and sell the defendant's personal property (such as a car or furniture) to satisfy the judgment.
  • Debtor's exam: The plaintiff can request that the court order the defendant to appear in court to answer questions under oath about their assets and income, which can help the plaintiff locate sources of payment.

It's important to note that the process of collecting a judgment can be complex and may require the assistance of an attorney. Additionally, the defendant may have exemptions or defenses that can prevent certain collection methods from being used.

After The Judgment Is Paid in Virginia

Once the judgment has been paid in Virginia, the plaintiff should file a Satisfaction of Judgment with the court. A Satisfaction of Judgment is a document that confirms that the judgment has been satisfied or paid in full. Filing a Satisfaction of Judgment is important because it removes the judgment lien from the defendant's property, and it also prevents the plaintiff from attempting to collect the same judgment again. It's recommended that the plaintiff file the Satisfaction of Judgment as soon as possible after the judgment has been paid. If the defendant fails to pay the judgment as ordered, the plaintiff may take further legal action to enforce the judgment and collect the amount owed. The plaintiff may also consider hiring a collections agency to help recover the debt, although this may result in additional fees or a reduced payment.

Praise From Our Happy Clients About Our

We Help Filing Small Claims in Following Small Claims Courts of Virginia